Within my online classroom, I always try to provide additional information and sources to my students. The weekly modules and readings are rich with information although I also find it helpful to students if s/he is learning from outside sources. Depending on the course, I provide students with a variety of different posts covering topics related to:
Post Production Software Applications
Exposure & Light Meter Tutorials
Tungsten & Strobe Lighting Tutorials
Photography Genres & Styles
Compositional Advice
Depth of Field & Focal Length
Freelance Business Advice
Writing Skills & MLA Format
Exposure & Light Meter Tutorials
Tungsten & Strobe Lighting Tutorials
Photography Genres & Styles
Compositional Advice
Depth of Field & Focal Length
Freelance Business Advice
Writing Skills & MLA Format
Below is an example screenshot of how many posts appear within a classroom. The following example is from "PH123: Principles of Digital Photography".
![]() |
| To view the image more easily, please click on the screenshot. |
Here is a closer look at the very first post that I put in all of my classrooms, "How to Create a Contact Sheet - Must Read". Regardless of the course level, I always have students who have questions about how to make his/her contact sheet. I typically require my students to either use the 3 x 3 option or the 4 x 5 option, depending on the assignment. However, I also ask students to include the file number, shutter speed, aperture and ISO within their documents. If a student is not familiar with how to do all (or any) of this or simply needs a refresher on the subject, they can find the information within this post. Below is the video tutorial that I made for my students regarding how to create a contact sheet using Adobe Lightroom:
Along with making my own video tutorials as seen above, I also like to use video tutorials created by credible sources, such as Canon Australia. One of the aspects of photography that I like to "hone in on" with my students is the ability for them to learn the importance of adjusting his/her depth of field. Below is the video tutorial that I show when trying to teach my students more about this topic:
Within my "PH136: Lighting" course, there are a few posts that relate strictly to lighting.
| To view the image more easily, please click on the screenshot. |
The post titled "Light Modifiers: Soft Box vs. Umbrella" addresses a typical stereotype found in lighting. It's often thought that because both of these lighting accessories act as diffusers, they both produce the same type of effect although this is not true. Students are introduced to a great video tutorial produced by AdoramaTV and can more easily understand the difference. To view the video tutorial, click "here".
In terms of advanced courses, such as "PH350: Time Based Media", the posts placed into the Questions for the Professor section naturally relate to the material taught in the weekly modules. In PH350, students are starting to learn the basics of making videos using their HDSLR. Topics within the Questions for the Professor section include:
![]() |
| To view the image more easily, please click on the screenshot. |
Another important aspect for PH350 students to learn is how to use a Lavalier Microphone. Although this type of microphone is the main style of mic that students will learn in the course, I also want to make sure that they're aware of other optoins, such as a Shotgun Microphone. There's a post within the Questions for the Professor section titled "Lavalier Microphones vs. Shotgun Microphones" where students are introduced to two videos produced by VScreen.com:
Sign up here with your email


