Each assignment
is listed clearly within the online classroom although the directions
for these assignments can sometimes seem confusing to students,
particularly in a learning environment where the students cannot speak
to the instructors face to face. In order to help students better
understand what the assignment is asking for and more importantly, what I
as their professor am looking for, I provide students with additional
help for the Assignment Instructions and also provide Step-by-Step Instructions to further clarify the assignment. Below you will see examples of a few of my Step-by-Step Instructions that I have written for my students. The assignment's original directions are seen in red and my additional thoughts are seen in black. I have also highlighted a few key aspects of my Step-by-Step Instructions.
For example: with PH136: Lighting's W2A2, students are asked to photograph a subject with two different styles of lighting:
Within Step 2 of this assignment, students are asked to choose two different lighting schemes and document those lighting set-ups with a wide-angle photograph. To help the students, with their lighting set-ups, I encourage the students to refer back to their weekly readings as well as an outside source:
Another example: The final project in PH350 asks students to record video as well as take still images of a subject and in order to tell a narrative with those recordings. During W3A3, students are asked to record a video of his/her subject in action. Within the Step-by-Step Breakdown, I stress to the students that this assignment is only to be completed with the subject that s/he has chosen to work with given that the footage will go towards the final project. In the event that students are not able to shoot an "action" scene during Week 3, I do give them the option to shoot their "interview" portion, which would originally be shot during Week 4.
To further clairify the W3A3 and to offer additional help, I remind the students to take still images while they're recording their video. I also remind the students to keep the 180-degree Shutter Rule in mind and tell them what part of the course they can go back to in order to look up information. I also include an outside link from Vimeo School about what to do before shooting a video. Students are encouraged to go back to Week 2's module and review how to import and edit an HDSLR video.
To see more examples of my Step-by-Step Breakdowns, please refer to the posts within the Discussion Areas of my classrooms.
For example: with PH136: Lighting's W2A2, students are asked to photograph a subject with two different styles of lighting:
In the past, some students have asked how many photos they should take per lighting scheme. To ensure that they're getting equal practice with two different lighting set-ups, I further clarify that students should shoot 20 images of their first scheme and 20 of their second. Students are also asked to shoot their images using the RAW format so that s/he will be able to adjust the photographs in post more easily.
To further clairify the W3A3 and to offer additional help, I remind the students to take still images while they're recording their video. I also remind the students to keep the 180-degree Shutter Rule in mind and tell them what part of the course they can go back to in order to look up information. I also include an outside link from Vimeo School about what to do before shooting a video. Students are encouraged to go back to Week 2's module and review how to import and edit an HDSLR video.
To see more examples of my Step-by-Step Breakdowns, please refer to the posts within the Discussion Areas of my classrooms.
Sign up here with your email




