Positive and Open Learning Environment

I believe it is important to establish a positive and open learning environment in order for students to succeed not only within my class but also throughout their career as a student and eventually, as a freelancer in the photography work world.

As noted within my post titled "Meet the Professor", students are introduced to me as their instructor with the written word and a video introduction.  By allowing the students to see me in the video introduction, students feel as though they can get a hold of me more readily if concerns pop up throughout the course.  This video introduction lets the students know that I'm a real person verses someone hiding behind curtain, like in the Wizard of Oz.

Within the same video introduction, I let students know when my normal work hours occur, and when I am most likely to be at my computer.  Students are informed to allow 24 hours for a response during the week and 48 hours during the weekend.  Although my office hours are clearly listed within the Course Home section in a post titled "Contact Information" and in the signature of my e-mails, I also point this out within the video. 

I constantly encourage my students to get in touch with me if they ever have any questions or concerns regarding feedback, grading, or a question about a module or assignment.  Students are reminded that if they cannot meet with me during my office hours, they are more than welcome to schedule an appointment that would better suit their schedule. 

I have found that making my work and office hours readily available for students to be very helpful.  Students can anticipate when I'll be available via the online classroom, e-mail and/or Skype. 

At the start of Week 3, I place an announcement within our Course Home section titled "Phone Calls This Week".  The announcements lets the students know that I'll be giving them a ring to "check in" on them.  This gives the students an opportunity to speak with me directly about an assignment, their grade or any confusion that they may be experiencing with the weekly modules. 

In the event that the student does not pick up my phone call, I am always sure to leave a detailed voice messageTo ensure that the student is aware of my phone call, I also send them a follow up e-mail regarding the voice message. 

I have received positive feedback on these phone calls.  With many instances, the student is happy that I called them verses them having to schedule a time to call me.  In other cases, the student might not have a concern per say although is merely happy to have a professor personally reach out to him/her.


Previous
Next Post »